This is a process that uses the electric principle of attraction and repulsion of electric charges.
Electrostatic painting is one way to ensure the flexibility of the part without harming the paint. When a piece is painted with chemical powder, it receives an electric charge causing the powder to stick to the piece. After this procedure, the piece is taken to a greenhouse. When the greenhouse heats up, the paint liquefies and then hardens, forming a film of high finish, uniformity, and strength.
A great example of electrostatic powder coating is the motorcycle springs: even flexed, the paint remains intact.
In the process of painting ferrous materials, in addition to the visual aspect, other factors such as corrosion, temperature and mechanical resistance are also considered. Especially in applications that require maximum durability and exposure to diverse environments electrostatic dust painting is the most efficient solution available in the market.
Below are some of the main advantages of electrostatic powder painting:
- High surface protection;
- Finishing and durable visual appearance;
- High impact resistance;
- Uniform coverage of parts;
- Reach of ink in hard to reach cavities;
- Great adhesion;
- Resistance to high temperatures;
- Resistance to corrosion;
- Resistance to UV rays;
- Excellent flexibility.
But there are many more advantages like:
Powder inks do not emit solvents during and after application and do not cause air pollution or pollution by effluents.
There is practically no loss of material since almost all the dust is reused (98% yield). The unused powder can be collected and recycled, avoiding environmental problems.
No solvent is required, which reduces any error with dilution and also reduces the risk of fire. In most cases, the use of a primer is also not required.
It allows immediate repainting before the cure, being enough for this the removal of the powder with compressed air.
Easy application through the electrostatic process.
High chemical and mechanical resistance.
In contact with the skin the powder is easily removed when washed with water.
Easy repair of an uncured film:
The paint booth is cleaned with compressed air, with no cleaning solvents required.
Process time is generally reduced, and as soon as the piece leaves the greenhouse, (after reaching the ambient temperature) it can be packed.
Some of the segments where electrostatic powder painting is most used are:
- Metallic Structures: Screens, linings, metallic structures, shelves, aluminium profiles, decorative elements and fixing systems for shops, factories, and offices.
- Home Appliances: Refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, dishwashers, water heaters, ovens, microwaves, air conditioning.
- Auto Accessories: Chassis, engine and body components such as wheels, springs, window frames, air and oil filters, exhaust pipes, engine blocks, and radiators.
- Machines and Tools: Gardening equipment, agricultural machinery, hand tools and forklifts.
- Metal Furniture: Furniture for interiors of schools, homes, offices; outdoor furniture in gardens.